Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?
Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?

SUGGESTION: A Cbox

Discussion in 'Questions, Suggestions & Complaints' started by Myth, May 26, 2015.

1. Myth

Myth New Member

I know the opinion will vary depending on your experience with it, but with the right community, a Cbox can be a great help.

Personally, I feel like a board that doesn't have that option for small talk and asking questions at best feels disconnected and at worst, just dead. Over the last couple years the primary way I have been gauging the activity of a board is by its Cbox, and I have seen lots of people do the same. Regular members would be chatting it up and whatever, and then a Guest would pop up, ask a few questions about the board, read the rules and plot, and then decide if they'd like to join.

Now ideally, the community would be warm and nurturing to that guest, and they would feel welcomed and be more likely to give the place a shot. Of course there are possible downsides.

• The community is asshole-ish: I've been to a few Star Wars board where you could plainly see how shitty their members were, and that very well could happen here, but hopefully it doesn't. If the rule for being respectful and otherwise kind to board members is truly reinforced then this won't be an issue. No one likes joining a board where they will be either bullied, lightly harassed, or feel as if people are hostile.
    • Cliques: People form friend groups and become too comfortable with their little circle and begin to feel like they don't 'need' to be as welcoming to the guest, because someone else will, and they have as many friends as they need. I've witnessed this happen as well, and it is difficult to prevent this beyond reinforcing the idea of being polite and friendly on the board. But ultimately it is depended on the type of people who will be drawn to RP here.
    But that is really just the two potential issues I can think of. As far as potential positives go:
    • Newbie help: Jumping into a new board, one that is either overly detailed or purposely vague, still feels a bit overwhelming at first without any real human contact. It's like a board game. Sure, you'll get it after an hour or so of reading the rules and then you'll be fine, but we all know that 'lost' feeling when starting something with no prior knowledge. But playing a board game for the first time with friends/family? When you know people you can bounce ideas or questions off of, it is of course easier. But a lot of the RPers that will find this board will likely be doing so by themselves, and being able to say "Hey" to the chatting Cbox members and being welcomed makes things much easier, especially when you can ask questions that weren't entirely clear to you.
    • Sense of community: In a similar vain, we all like to feel apart of a community. One where members can 'shoot the shit' will give members a reason to stay and RP beyond their love for the Star Wars genre. They will make friends, share themselves in small ways, find common interests, and be able to chat about a variety of things. Because I'll be honest, I have never, ever, ever seen a 'General Chat' board ever used for actual general chatting. Instead it is used for either forum games, or very topic specific chatting.
    • Finding a RP: One of the issues I found that people have is if they don't have a friend already on the board, coming by a RP partner is difficult. But when there is a Cbox I've noticed that a lot of the time someone will say to another "love the character we ought to RP" and then boom, they have a partner. Or someone will just mention an idea they are thinking of, someone will make suggestions, and then suddenly they have a roleplay idea they both want to play out. As well as at times I've outright seen someone say "hey, anyone up for a RP?" and that was that.
    • Gauging activity: It's difficult to tell how active a board is by the number of replies and topics on the board, and while a bunch of members being simultaneously online does help, so does a Cbox. Even on a fresh board like this, if a guest sees that the members it does have are actively chatting (even if they may not be online when the guest is) they are more likely to give the place a shot, as long as the Cbox doesn't have a bunch of gaps of conversation. Where without scrolling you can see the Cbox is so hardly used there is a week of posts visible.
    A free Cbox could be a good way to test the waters, although admittedly, some people may avoid it just because it is a bit annoying when the box doesn't automatically refresh. But I think people can understand why you wouldn't put money down just yet. Otherwise, just upgrading the box to unlock user registration (passwording names, similar to GT in ease where you just type your name, password it, then post away), automatic refresh, moderator tools, and whatever else listed here is $6 a month. I believe you are able to pay for three months up front or a year if you'd like.

I would also suggest that if you do decide a Cbox is a good idea, placing it on the right side of the board. Or maybe placing it in a field that can be hidden/unhidden that follows when you scroll down/up (but still on the side) since scrolling all the way to the bottom is a bit of a pain.

2. Trever Leingod

Trever Leingod New Member

I agree with the suggestion for a Cbox. A side one is usually the most catching, in my opinion.

3. Mike

Mike Republic Faction Leader Staff Member

4. Helius

Helius New Member

5. Nis

Nis Administrator Staff Member

6. Nis

Nis Administrator Staff Member

As an update to this I have installed the free version. I still need to think where else I can put the shout box but for now it has its own tab. I also need to fix the BB code images. When I eventually have some money spare I'll also purchase the paid version.

7. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

The last forum I belonged to had the CBOX permanently anchored to the bottom of the pages. That seemed to work out pretty well.

8. Mike

Mike Republic Faction Leader Staff Member

Bottom of the page is great I think, or maybe even pinned to the left hand side of the window that scrolls with you. Requires a bit more code but if anything, bottom of every page is best I think for now.