Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?
Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?

Relaunching StarWarsRoleplay.com

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Nis, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Nis

Nis Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

It’s been a little while since I last made a site announcement. As you can see momentum was rather rapidly lost and the site effectively hit a standstill. This was down to a number of key members leaving (permanently or temporarily) for their own reasons.

I’d still love to see this site prosper. We have the software, the web server, the rules and all the structure in place to make it happen – all we need is a core base of members to keep activity up. It can’t be down to 1 or 2 people, but a large group of enthusiastic and creative roleplayers. With the new film launching it seems like now is the right time to plan a relaunch. I haven’t thought about logistics, wiping the forum and starting afresh or continuing from where we are now. All I know is I want to make this site a thriving roleplaying community and if you want it to happen, all you need to do is make your voice heard now.

So I’m up for giving this site one final shot. Who is with me?

2. Lancer

Lancer Member

Well, I'm here and willing to give it a shot. We'll see who else is still around!

Nis likes this.
  3. Nis

Great to have you here, Lancer.

4. Azarak

Azarak Mandalorian Faction Leader

I haven't gone anywhere, but will stick around if we don't base our rp off the new movie.

5. Nis

That's great news. I don’t think we will be doing a roleplay based off the new film (especially since we don’t have the best grasp of the plot). I suppose the question is do we move on business as usual or do we need to do something fresh to bring in a new wave of users.

Azarak likes this.
  6. Azarak

Azarak Mandalorian Faction Leader

At this point, probably a clean slate would be better. If I can make a suggestion, I would just recommend making it be an open world of all Star Wars with no dates from games, movies, or comics. That way EU fans have their lore open to them and new fans can pull from their lore. I would make a disclaimer that this is not set in any stories and it is completely up to us in the lore. Making it more like TOR would probably be the best for us ultimately.

7. Helius

Helius New Member

I still lurk every once in a while. I go through moods of interest. So while I can't guarantee that I'll be anything major, I'll still offer some RPs and some insight.

8. Darth Deimos

Darth Deimos New Member

I will be apart of this if ya need

9. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

I got your message Nis, I'll gladly help out with the reboot!

10. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

And I agree with Azark. It may be best to just reset everything. Decide again where we start in the timeline, re-choose (or simply remain in) factions. Although I am very excited for the new movie, I agree it may be best to not start within its confines since, as Nis said, we don't have a good handle on where its timeline really stands, besides being 50 years since the Battle of Endor.

>.> <.< (But I am redoing my profile, and am faceclaiming Kylo Ren because... you know... I'm a nerd like that XD)

Nis likes this.
  11. Nis

Great to have you back Darth Decivus. I'm starting to run some ideas around in my head. We are still lacking a number of core members but I have an idea on how to bring in some fresh blood and give this a proper launch.

12. TheGreyApprentice

TheGreyApprentice New Member

I'm new, but I'm up for helping, and happy to do anything from Knights to pre-Yuzong in the original EU. I'm fine with making our own AU between RotJ and TFA as well.

Jaxter likes this.
  13. Admiral Kor'Lok

Admiral Kor'Lok Hutt Cartel Faction Leader

I am here! I've been computerless for a couple of months now, but I finally got a new hard drive to fix my comp! Excited to be back if anything happens. <3

Darth Decivus likes this.
  14. TheGreyApprentice

Any word, all? I lost internet for a couple of weeks, but I'm back now.

15. Jaxter

Jaxter New Member

I just joined, and it looks like you need a lot more publicity. People, talk about SWRP on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever the
    Heck you do. Tell your friends, family, and co-workers. The mor people we have, the better. So let's get our name out there!

Nis likes this.
  16. Nis

Welcome Jaxter! Yes, we will go into full advertising mode once we have confirmed the new plot (along with the new boards). Till then welcome to the forum and feel free to drop me a message with any questions.

17. Jaxter

Jaxter New Member

Right. If we are going to have more than two Sith, we need to do it in the time of the Old Republic, before Darth Bane. I don't think you want to put up with having to pick two Sith at a time. We could also do it before the Old Republic video game era, just to have something new. Or we cold involve the Lost Tribe during Ben Skywalker's time. That would limit the number of Sith, but not nearly as much as it would otherwise.

18. Darth Cyaegha

Darth Cyaegha New Member

I suppose I've done enough lurking and frequent check ups that I should put my opinion out there. I'm pretty sure that in the latest Episode, Kylo Ren and his Knights haven't been confirmed as Sith yet. They don't follow the rule of two at all, it seems. But, if we're following Episode VII, I suggest this, in terms of the antagonists:

Supreme Leader Snoke is an NPC, you use him as a plot-device and way of moving along dark-side storylines. Also, this way you don't have to explain who he is, you can just let the films do that on their own.
    If calling dark side users 'Sith' is absolutely essential, you tweak it a little. There's the possibility that Kylo Ren isn't a "Darth [xyz]" because, as Snoke put it in the end of the film as Starkiller is destructing, Ren hasn't finished his training yet. So all of these 'Knights of Ren,' are probably candidates for a Sith Lordship, assuming Snoke is a Sith.

That's just about all I have to say on the matter. But, to confirm, I'm still around.

19. TheGreyApprentice

I'm not sure when Nis is getting back from vacation, but all canon points to the Knights of Ren NOT being Sith, and that the Sith did, in fact, die at Endor.

However, that does not mean that another Imperial Remnant group might not also rise to challenge the First Order with a new Sith at their head. Nis and I have bounced a lot of ideas around, but I think for the moment we are going to limit the factions to First Order, with the Knights of Ren included, The Resistance (The New Republic is NOT involved yet, and their navy gone by the movie), and a Fringe faction for anyone else.

This is not in stone, and Nis has not made any decisions yet to my knowledge, but that seems to be where the ideas are flowing.

Also, the idea is to add factions later as we get more people to join.

20. Darth Cyaegha

Darth Cyaegha New Member

We shall see what the screenwriters decide on the topic of whether or not the 'Sith,' are truly gone. I am personally fine with the absence of them. The Knights of Ren isn't as catching, but it'll work. But, on the topic of limiting the factions, I whole-heartedly agree. But, why make the K.o.R. playable? I think if you do there should be some strict guidelines so you don't get that classic cliched dark-sider user. "Angry little boy, blah, blah." It would be nice if you could do limits on how many are at play at a time. So, to start off, only three open character slots, you know? Is it canon that the Knights of Ren are force-users who were training with Luke? Or were they assembled by Snoke himself?

I'm not even going to touch on that theory of Snoke being Plagueis and I hope you don't either-- let the films decide on that one. Personally, I'd like to see the absence of canons entirely, aside from some prime characters like Snoke.

So we aren't entirely hinging on the films and we could take it our own way, why don't you go along the lines of this:

Luke Skywalker is dead. Destroyed by the ominous Knights of Ren, all that was seems to have been lost. While some Jedi have survived, they are on the run from the minacious fleet of the First Order. The Resistance works tirelessly to thwart the spreading influence of this tyrannical regime, working with those brave Jedi survivors to find the Great Jedi Holocron of Luke Skywalker.
    This way you can incorporate new Resistance characters and leaders, surviving and lone Jedi, characters in the First Order and some Knights of Ren. Meanwhile, the only actually canon character present in-game/storyline is an NPC Snoke or an NPC force ghost of Luke Skywalker. Basically, for the first 'Episode' of this site, it would be similar to The Force Awakens: find the Jedi Temple. There would be lots of skirmishes off the bat, of course, because it would be a race for all four factions to get there first.