Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?
Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?

Question/Suggestion| Passage of Time and Dating System?

Discussion in 'Questions, Suggestions & Complaints' started by Bradok, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Bradok

Bradok Member

I was wondering how you intend to handle IC dates and times, and if you plan to implement an in game calendar to show the present IC date of Role-Play? Will one day IRL be equal to one day IC? Will you be implementing time-skips to show how major RPs effect the Galaxy over time?

If not, then I highly recommend you at least set up a dating system of some sort so Role-Players can accurately timestamp their RPs. With that in effect you can clearly see what is happening presently or in the past, as well as reducing the ability for people to Metagame into situations.

For example: If someone is a Sith and they are engaged in a Role-Play and his apprentice is Roleplaying on the other side of the Galaxy, and both Role-Plays are time stamped for the same date, it makes it impossible for one of them to appear in the others Role-Play should they become in danger.

I also enjoy time stamping RPs so I can go back and see how much a character has progressed over the passage of time, tell me what you think.

2. Mike

Mike Republic Faction Leader Staff Member

Time stamping is a tricky business. The problem with time stamping is that a roleplay takes several days IRL, but can span less than one IC. I think it'd be a cool system and all, but we need to implement it the right way or it will mess a lot of things up. Time I think, at least for now, is better off simply being relative. You'll almost never have to say "The other day..." in a Roleplay because every day for each planet is different (It's called local rotations, I believe). Eventually we may make an announcement saying "Hey, the year is now ______" but until then, days, weeks, and months will all be relative.

3. Nis

Nis Administrator Staff Member

Mhm. It's a great idea but I think we should keep things very simple, especially for now. We will be updating the galactic time lines as things happen. More so by big events than small stories. In terms of roleplaying in multiple posts, it just has to be common sense that they don't impact each other.

4. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

That will work to benefit everyone, I think. Often, unforeseen circumstances can get in in the way of posting. Or, as an example from another site, an RP took two YEARS IRL to complete because one person would post fleetingly, sometimes only once a month. I think a posting time limit should apply. Two days maximum before other players are allowed to continue on. Sound good?

5. Mike

There's already a rule in place for this particular issue during fights/faction battles, but I'll throw a poll up for the forum in Announcements to see how many would like a rule in place for regular RP's as well. I think it's semi unnecessary simply because it's on you whether or not to call off/end any RP's you're involved in. So do you want a poll or no poll?

6. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

A poll sounds fair to me.

7. Mike

There's no actual way to do polls as of yet, but I made a makeshift one in general chat.

8. Nis

Nis Administrator Staff Member

Ugh we can make polls. I just may have disabled them from certain forums... Let me look into this.

9. Mike

Mhmmm. This is why we flipped your tea into the river.
    [​IMG]