Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?
Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?

Organizing the Roleplay

Discussion in 'Questions, Suggestions & Complaints' started by Mike, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Mike

Mike Republic Faction Leader Staff Member

Okay so a number of times it's come up that people like an organized roleplaying area, and I tend to agree with them. What I've set out in doing the last few weeks is thinking up different solutions to how we can go about this. There were a lot of obvious and easy choices that I could have said "let's do that one" but I decided not to. The goal is to make this forum and our roleplays unique compared to what's out. A few forums have your standard roleplay area like we do, where the planet is named in the RP. A few have a general, neutral area for regular and story-line RPs while the few key planets to each faction on in their faction area. Some even have "Core Worlds", "Inner Rim", "Outer Rim", etc. These are all fantastic ideas and work really well in their respective forums, but I wanted something that would be easy to follow, organized, and incorporate a lot of the good points of each idea.

So here's what I'm offering:

Right now the forum looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    This wont' change at all, but I'm posting this for a general idea of the lay out.

Within "The Galaxy Roleplay" it looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's fairly unorganized to say the least.

So, how do we go about organizing it? Well we take the format of the main forum and apply it to the roleplaying area.

The red bars running across the top of each section tell you what section of the forum you're looking at. We can do this for the different sections of the galaxy. A red banner for the core worlds, inner rim, outer rim, colonies, etc. This will tell the users "okay, I'm now looking at planets in the [enter galactic section here]."

Underneath the section banners, will be a list of planets in the form of sub-forums (or boards, as many like to call them). The sub-forums will have sub-text on them that will tell users what faction, if any, the planet is controlled by.

Right now, the pathway for roleplays is forums/roleplay and then the title of the sub-forum is displayed below it. The pathway after making these changes would be like forums/roleplay/outterrim with the specific planet displaying below it.

On top of all that, each planet sub-forum will have a sticky post in it describing the terrain and population and such as taken from wookieepedia.

This is a ton of work and it will never get done in one day, but my hope is that if you guys like this idea, that the major planets will be implemented on the first day with the rest of the planets not far behind in subsequent days. For this reason we could include a "All Others" sub-forum for roleplays that happen on non-listed yet planets. Once the planet is listed then we can move that roleplay to its proper area.

I wanted to know what you all think. What are your thoughts on this? IS there anything you'd change? I need honest feedback.

Darth Decivus likes this.
  2. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

3. Lancer

Lancer Member

I do like the idea of having a few different forums for different areas of the galaxy, but part of me wonders if having subforums for the main planets is unnecessary, at least for our current activity level.

4. Mike

I do agree that our activity level leaves something to be desired and it's a pretty big project for a small community, but if we're going to switch to it I'd rather start on it sooner when we have 3 or 4 active roleplays than when we have 20. The way we are set up currently is kind of confusing for a lot of new people as well.

It's easy for us because we've been through the hell that is JS and GT in general, but most of the people we're getting are coming from forums that have a set up similar to this.

5. Lancer

Lancer Member

Eh, fair enough. I am a little concerned that having a number of empty or near-empty roleplay forums would give off the wrong impression to new people, but maybe that's not as much of a concern. Cleaning up the roleplay section is appealing--I don't think we should make the forums needlessly complicated, but if you feel this is the best way to accomplish what you want to accomplish, it's not that big of a cost assuming you're willing/able to do it. :)

6. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

Actually, it helps immensely to have planet threads with sub threads. This allows multiple things to happen across each world, makes it easy for players to RP together without having to create new threads, and drastically cleans up the overall thread sections.

7. Mike

It seems more complicated trying to explain than it actually will be as it's implemented. The implementation is actually pretty straight forward and easy to understand. I'm just terrible at explaining things.

8. Lancer

Lancer Member

I don't see how multiple things can't happen on each world as it is, or even if we just split the role play into a few subforums with the different sections of the galaxy. I will certainly grant that each individual section will be cleaner than the one section we have now, or even just a potential 3-5 sections...but I have RPed at sites with this sort of setup before and when I first started it was pretty aggravating having to click through subforums within subforums to get a sense of what was actually happening within the RP. I don't think that would be as bad here since a) we're not as active as those sites and b) we have the little scroller on the side to keep us updated on active RPs, so it could maybe work here even if it doesn't seem especially necessary.

Note that I'm not drastically against this by any means. If it helps to improve the site and perhaps make it more attractive to new people, I'll support it. I just think that it's worthwhile having some discussion on the matter so we can hopefully figure out the best way to do those things, so I'm throwing out some counterpoints to consider. :) One other thing that occurs to me that might be helpful re: cleaning up the role play board is if we had some way to archive inactive/completed RPs. The thread posters could simply mark their threads as completed when done, and there could perhaps be a time period (e.g. One month with no replies) after which a thread would be archived and moved out of the way. Hopefully not deleted, though, but moving them out of the main role play area might be helpful. As it stands, I have no idea how many of the posts in that forum I could currently jump into.

Nah, I think I've got what you're saying. I just think that more forums is naturally more complicated than fewer forums. Which may or may not be a drawback. :) You also mentioned it would be a lot of work, so best to figure out if it's worth it before you start on it!

9. Mike

As I've said, it can change. I'm open to ideas. The problem is getting the player base that we have already to look at this and give feedback on it.

10. Darth Decivus

Darth Decivus Member

If you want, I can direct you to my last RP site that used this idea pretty effectively. Browse through and see if it's similar to what you want.

11. Mike

Send me a PM with the link. I'll check it out.