Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?
Want to help relaunch StarWarsRoleplay.com?

Farlan "Faze" Zharing [[Jedi - WIP]]

Discussion in 'Character Profiles' started by Lancer, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Lancer

Lancer Member

Some areas of these are in flux based on whether the forum needs me to fill a ranking hole in the Jedi or not. For now I'm assuming he'll just be a Knight, but if Master is on the table I'll add some more years/history.

NAME: Farlan Zharing

NICKNAME: Farlan never really liked his first name, and has accumulated a number of nicknames over the years. The one that stuck was "Faze" (based off his initials), which he received during his time as a starfighter pilot and which later became his callsign. Today, he goes almost exclusively by Faze, although some people refer to him by Zharing and a few of his closer friends might have nicknames of their own for him. A less common one is "Bolt," after the squadron he commanded.

SPECIES: Human

HOMEWORLD: Corellia

HEIGHT: 6'1"

WEIGHT: 200

FORCE POWERS: [[In flux]]

LIGHTSABER FORMS: [[In flux]]

PERSONALITY: Faze may be a Jedi, but much of his personality was formed during his years of service in the Republic military. While his master, Darcis Kor, managed to curb some of his coarser elements, they still peek out from time to time, and he's never been good at the more mystical elements of Jedi life. There is no emotion, there is peace has never been on Faze's radar--indeed, he usually wears his emotions on his sleeves, only suppressing them when he's in the presence of Jedi leadership. Loud, gregarious, and somewhat hot-headed, Faze is good at connecting with people, though his tendency to be brash and blunt means it's not rare for him to get on other people's nerves.

WEAPONS: Faze's weapon of choice is his yellow-bladed lightsaber, but he also carries a yellow shoto and his trusty blaster pistol from his military service as backup. He is also a skilled starfighter pilot and has a custom ship he takes wherever he goes.

APPEARANCE: One look at Faze and it's easy to tell that he is ex-military. Solidly built and in good physical condition, Faze has more or less maintained his regimen since joining the Jedi. Wanting to be ready for combat at a moment's notice, Faze eschews the traditional Jedi robes for attire he feels is more practical, usually either a combat jumpsuit or simple, easy to move in casual clothing. He has blond, short-cropped hair that shows signs of thinning, and he is always clean-shaven. The left of his neck contains a large burn scar from a crash that nearly claimed his life.

BACKGROUND: Faze was born to two middle-class parents on the world of Corellia and was raised in relative peace and simplicity. His father and mother, Wes and Serra, had both served as fighter pilots in the Corellian armed forces about a decade before the Cartel Conflict before settling down, though they served in peacetime and avoid combat. He had an older brother and sister, both of whom also became starfighter pilots, this time for the Republic.

The most significant event of Faze's early life came when he was just a child and a pair of Jedi, one of them a Padawan named Darcis Kor, visited the family. As they had discovered, an uncle of Faze's had been a Jedi for a short time before being killed in the Force War shortly after being Knighted. The Jedi were still in the middle of attempting to rebuild after that conflict and had been seeking out the family of former members to try to add to their ranks. Faze's entire family was tested, and he and his older sister Dinara were confirmed Force-Sensitive. The Jedi attempted to recruit both of them for training, but at this point the Cartel Conflict was well under way, and Faze's parents distrusted the Jedi for not aiding the Republic. They sent the Jedi away, but Faze and his sister were now aware of this potential and even practiced together in secret.

Still, Faze's first dream was to be a fighter pilot like the rest of his family, and he left for Coruscant to join the Republic as soon as he turned 18. Like the rest of his family, he took to it well, eventually rising to the rank of Captain and the leadership of his own squadron, Bolt Squadron. Bolt was charged with hunting down pirates along trade routes, and so Faze actually saw a good amount of combat over the next few years. Uninterested in a return to civilian life, Faze was hoping to make it a career, and with promotions on the horizon, it was a near-certainty.

It was not to be. On a routine scouting mission near Yag'Dhul, Bolt Squadron was ambushed by a pirate group they had been pursuing, and nearly all of Faze's squadron mates were killed. Faze himself, saved only by his latent Force-enhanced senses, barely escaped with his life. He vowed to regroup and avenge his fallen comrades, but his superiors viewed him as a loose cannon in his mental state and pulled him from the front lines. Faze was frustrated at being away from the action, but he began to move on from the traumatic experience...until he overheard an officer make a snide comment about his failed mission and lashed out. The officer, who was several ranks above Faze, wound up with a broken jaw, and Faze was given a choice: resign or be dishonorably discharged.

Faze could not stand the idea of living what he viewed as an 'ordinary' life, but he had few options. Even the possibility of going into the police force alongside his father held little allure, not after having traveled the galaxy to pursue the guilty. And so, when he turned in his resignation from the military, he reached out to Darcis Kor, now a newly-minted Jedi Master, about joining the Jedi.

It was a difficult decision, one compounded by the fact that his family still mistrusted the Jedi Order. Long arguments with his parents and his brother followed, ultimately leading to a rift in their relationship that has yet to fully heal: while Faze now writes his parents on occasion, he hasn't visited in years, and he hasn't spoken to his brother at all. His sister Dinara, now retired from the military and pursuing a career in politics, was more supportive; having flirted with the idea herself on more than one occasion, she understood his decision in a way the others could not.

Faze's training with Master Kor was very rocky at first, as the two could not be more different: Faze, the boisterous, rough fighter pilot from Corellia, vs. the model Jedi Darcis Kor, calm, collected, and serene. Faze resisted the Jedi's attempt to mold his personality, while Kor was adamant in his warnings about the dangers of emotions. Their dischord echoed in Faze's results: using the Force with any amount of control was nearly impossible for him, and while lightsaber training went better, it was fueled almost entirely by adrenaline rather than actual skill.

After months of little progress, Faze and Kor slowly began to understand each other. After consulting with some peers, Kor began to center the training less around abstract concepts and emotion suppression and more around objectives and the union of body and mind. Faze responded well, and for his part he was able to rein in the emotions, at least to an extent, and to relinquish a little more control. The Force came a little easier, even if it was still a struggle, and the lightsaber work soon became top-notch. The two also grew closer together through the missions they went on, as they had to rely on each other, and each saved the other's life more than once.

This, too, would come to an end. The Jedi Council had heard troubling rumors that the Mandalorians were on the rise, and Kor and Faze were sent on a mission to determine if there was a threat. Unfortunately, their cover was blown, and as they were fleeing Kor was caught in a hail of blasterfire. Faze watched his master die and was forced to leave the body behind in his escape. Upon his return, the Jedi Council quietly reassigned him to the station monitoring Korriban, just to prevent the risk of the Mandalorians rescuing him.

Faze was recognized to be a Jedi Knight after his return, although unbeknownst to most he was never Knighted officially. While Faze had believed that the last mission was also effectively his trial, Kor had continued to nurse serious misgivings about his apprentice's continuing issues controlling his emotions. Those misgivings largely died with him, and although he may have mentioned them in passing to his closest friends in the Order, most accepted Faze's assumption that he was to be Knighted at the end of the mission and did not dispute his rank. After all, in terms of strength at least Faze was certainly at Knight level, and there was little time to investigate the matter in the scramble to avoid fallout from the botched operation.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Lancer

Lancer Member

...forgot how difficult and time-consuming writing these things could be, haha. I'm definitely out of practice, and there are some details I would like to fill in at some point. If I wind up doing the whole Master thing I will probably have to make up some accomplishments to tack on to the end, to make it more realistic.

3. Mike

Mike Republic Faction Leader Staff Member

One thing I noticed is that the bold makes it very hard to read. It might just be a misplaced piece of code or something. But from what I've read so far (everything up to the bio) and seeing the length of the bio, I think this is exactly what we were looking for with details and such. I just can't continue reading it because the bold hurts my eyes haha

4. Lancer

Lancer Member

Yeah, that was a coding issue I meant to fix. For whatever reason, it allowed me to type in normal font right up to the Weapons section and wouldn't let me switch out of it afterward. Should be fixed now.

5. Mike

Mike Republic Faction Leader Staff Member

Yup! Much better!

Only thing I have is maybe go into a bit more detail with the Jedi training and such, but it looks good!

6. Lancer

Lancer Member

Indeed. I may have been a little burned out on writing by that point in the profile. :)